Seasoned Elgin Attorney Protects the Rights of Divorcing Spouses
Illinois law firm handles property, custody and financial issues
Getting a divorce is a significant life experience that comes with numerous personal, financial, and legal challenges. Regardless of the specific circumstances, the process of ending a marriage can be overwhelming. The Law Offices of Jonathan L. Carbary, Ltd. in Elgin guides divorcing spouses from start to finish and works to protect clients’ legal rights. Mr. Carbary draws upon 38 years of legal experience in offering clients knowledgeable counsel on child custody, property division and spousal maintenance disputes.
Knowledgeable counselor advises on each aspect of divorce law
For clients in Kane, DeKalb and McHenry counties, Mr. Carbary offers detailed advice on a full range of Illinois divorce issues, including:
- Filing — Under Illinois law, a husband or wife can file for divorce based on irreconcilable differences between the spouses.
- Property division — When an agreement on property division cannot be reached, marital assets are allocated according to the principle of equitable distribution, which is based on what the court deems fair though the outcome is not necessarily an even split. Attorney Jonathan Carbary makes a detailed presentation of the relevant facts to give clients the best chance at a successful division of assets.
- Maintenance — What many people call alimony is referred to as maintenance in Illinois. Courts review a variety of factors when determining whether one spouse should make payments to the other. These factors include the length of the marriage, the couple’s standard of living and each party’s earning capacity. A finding of marital fault, such as adultery, does not impact maintenance decisions.
- Uncontested divorce — If you and your spouse can agree on key divorce terms, you can reduce the time, expense and stress associated with the process. In cases like this, Mr. Carbary helps to effectuate a fair Dissolution of Marriage.
- Post-judgment proceedings — Significant changes in circumstances can make a previously entered divorce order unfair to an ex-spouse. However, you cannot take matters into your own hands. Attorney Jonathan Carbary petitions the court for suitable adjustments to maintenance, child support, or visitation.
During a free initial consultation, Mr. Carbary will conduct a thorough analysis of your situation and explain the choices you have when ending your marriage.
Dedicated lawyer provides effective counsel on parenting matters
Nothing is more important than protecting the safety of children and giving them a chance to grow up successfully. Mr. Carbary helps parents do this by assisting with:
- Custody and visitation — When the parents of minor children break up, judicial decisions regarding legal and physical custody are based on what the court considers to be in the best interests of the child. If the parties cannot agree on residence, visitation or legal authority, attorney Carbary litigates for a fair, detailed parenting plan that enables the child to grow up with the care and living environment that they need.
- Child support — Noncustodial parents are required to pay a child support rate that is calculated using their income, health insurance costs, alimony and other child support obligations. The firm helps to ensure that accurate information is used to determine child support.
- Adoptions — Bringing a child into your home is a wonderful commitment, but the procedural requirements can test the most dedicated applicants. Comprehensive guidance from a seasoned family law attorney can help you complete a domestic or international adoption successfully.
- Paternity —Mr. Carbary helps to establish legal fatherhood so that children have the proper support from both parents.
Working closely with clients, Jonathan Carbary provides knowledgeable advice and advocacy for any legal parenting concern.
Contact an experienced Illinois divorce lawyer for a free initial consultation
The Law Offices of Jonathan L. Carbary, Ltd. represents divorcing spouses in Kane, DeKalb and McHenry counties. Please call 847-888-0919 or contact the firm online to schedule a free initial consultation at Mr. Carbary’s Elgin office.